Monday, April 18, 2011

Birthrights

April is Cesarean Awaremenss Month in honor of that here is my expereince with cesarean birth and VBAC.
Some people know my story, journey- struggle really to have a VABC delivery with my second child. 
After my first C-Section, I had no idea that I was suddenly in a category of obstetric patients that have VERY limited choices for future childbirths.   During my first labor my son wasn't in distress, I wasn't in distress.  I didn't know my options, I made a lot of uneducated choices and didn't ask any questions.  The doctor said it was time for a c-section and I believed him.  I'll never truly know if it was really necessary or not.  My gut is that it wasn't. I didn't realize when I consented to that first surgery that I would feel so strongly about it later- feelings of loss, grief and that I was somehow broken because I didn't deliver my son normally-vaginally.

In searching out a VBAC provider or in other words a doctor who would support my choice to try to have a Vaginal Birth After Cesarean.  I realized very quickly with my second pregnancy that those kinds of doctors are almost impossible to find.  I thought I found one- but alas he pulled the bait and switch with me in my last trimester.

At 34 weeks I found myself searching out a new provider and having to drive over an hour and a half to Atlanta to see Dr. Joseph Tate.  He is pretty much one of the only options for a truly VBAC supportive provider in the state of GA.  Women drive hours from as far away as north FL to see him.

Some people were supportive, some were incredulous- sure I was nuts for wanting something so much- sure I would deliver on the side of the hwy in an attempt to get to Emory on time- an hour and a half a away without traffic.

I was able to deliver my daughter, Lucy, on February 10, 2011 via natural VBAC.  I could not have done it without a husband who supported my choices and drove me to Atlanta, who understood, listened and helped me process my grief over my first C- Section.  I also could not have done it without ICAN- the International Cesarean Awareness Network.  The local chapter in Athens and the Atlanta chapter were invaluable resources who supported me, answered questions and understood in ways that family and friends couldn't.
When I was able to hold my daughter in my arms for the first time- without surgery- it was without a doubt the most empowering, amazing moment of my life.

There is a wonderful documentary that was done in Atlanta with MY doctor- the incredible Dr. Tate and all the wonderful women of ICAN Atlanta.  If you want to see and understand what this is all about- I HIGHLY suggest you watch it.  It sums up my experience completely and any of the women they interview could have been me.  If you want to understand - even just a little- watch it.  It is worth the time.


No comments:

Post a Comment