Saturday, October 6, 2012

sew simple

I was creative today!  This project was inspired by this Pin.
I put together some felt garland along with a cute burlap table runner.



I wanted to create some garland made with felt shapes, in fall colors, sewn together.
I picked up some felt sheets and cut them into squarish shapes- I wanted my garland to be less uniform (a.k.a -it's easier to cut crooked squares vs. precise ones vs. circles).

I created the color pattern I wanted and then started sewing through diagonally one after another until I was done!  You don't really even have to sew in a straight line!

I originally thought I was going to use the garland on the mantle- but it just looked too busy and didn't fit with our living room style so I hung it up in the kitchen/dining room and was even more inspired to make up a super easy and quick table runner to use with the garland on the table.

To make the table runner:
I cut the burlap to the size I wanted for our table and then pulled out threads from the loose weave until I had the edges frayed to the length I wanted.
Once the edges were frayed, I sewed around the entire runner on the edge of the non frayed burlap.  I trimmed the edges so they were all the same and pressed it- Done!

Onto the the table went the runner and I just laid the felt garland on top.  I hung the rest between the kitchen and dining area.


It was so quick and easy I even sewed up some garland in Christmas colors.  I can just switch out the garland in a couple of months for the Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment